Friday, January 9, 2015

An Unexpected Ransom

We have your glove. Give us the money or else.

I was working hard in the Commons, trying to make good use of schedule break. I glanced at the text from Pierce, and quickly replied, Prove that it's my glove. Why should I believe you have MY glove?

Instead of a reply, he sent this picture.

That's definitely my glove, beneath the frowny face on Brianna's hand. I gave up trying to work and we bartered the terms of my glove's return.

Pierce: $5,000,000,000,000. Meet us in the alley behind the homeless man with a purple hat.

Me: Well...I can't pay that, but I do have something that might interest you more. But we will meet on my terms. Indoors, near people.

Pierce: We are in your work study building. We have lots of people. But they are hostages. Be here. Or be square.

Me: Ok, ok, just don't do anything...drastic.

Pierce:


I packed my backpack and hurried down to the engineering complex, making sure to take a route where they couldn't see me coming. I swung open the door to the pedestrian sky bridge they were on and caught them in the middle of a wrestling fight over my glove.

"I got the goods!" I declared, and pulled a new box of chalk out of my pocket.

Brianna and Pierce stopped struggling over the glove, eyes lighting up at my ransom. "Forget this!" Pierce grabbed the box.

Then we decided to draw a picture outside.

This is just one of the many unexpected, wonderful things that happens often at college. Every day is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment